CAD-Mech

The Life and Times of an Associate Principal Designing Building Mechanical Systems On-Screen with AutoCAD & Revit MEP.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Aggravation on the Due Date Highway

What doesn't kill the PC makes it stronger. Yeah, right...

Aggravation #1: I have is that at times AutoCAD 2008 restructures the colum headers in the FileOpen dialog box at though the files shown are photos (Date Taken, Rating etc.) which simply doesn't make sense when we're dealing with DWG and BAK files. My only solution to resetting the display is to close AutoCAD and restart it.

Aggravation #2: We establish a new standard font so the number "1" would have the little tick mark. Fortunately, we called (companyfont)2 so as to not mess with formatting of text on many thousands of existing drawings using (companyfont)1. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone bothered to check the full range of symbols. The circle/slash symbol used to indicate round ductwork when giving a size shows as a question mark. I found that out late last week when making changes to a job under construction.(Just realized I should check for a %%character - fingers crossed.) Seems like we would have checked on something used so frequently.

Aggravation #3: A couple weeks ago when plotting files I found my mechanical drawings had over a hundred entries in the ScaleList. Huh? What the.heck is going on? One thing to give an indication of what might be happening was that the new entries had XREF sufficies in multiple counts. I at least found the SCALELISTEDIT commmand which helped reset the list to simplify things. Simple stopped when I hit a couple drawings where a exception would occur.

Oh, well. I went with whatever came up and it seemed to work for plotting. Last night while checking my usual list of CAD websites for general information I cam across this link:

http://rkmcswain.blogspot.com/2007/12/bloated-scale-list.html

which now gives me a way to get past the exception issue using the Commandline. Tomorrow, I'll setup a shortcut on my personal list of routines to see how things work before sending a copy off to the CAD Group.

Otherwise, things are going to ramp back up again. Spent this weekend getting entering data into equipment schedules for a cultural arts center project in the mountains. PDFs on the DD Phase are due this coming Friday but I offered to get as much of the electrical data nailed down along with the equipment locations by Monday. Not done but I'm about 85% the way there. Still got the rest of Monday to nail down the last 15%. Gotta finish up the time sheet, too.

Last Friday I reissued plans on a remodel for a historical conversion of a large home into an office building for an architect. We're on our 5th revision, this latest dealing with vertical clearances in the basement for ductwork, combination fire/smoke dampers, accommodate yet more plan review comments and a desire to simplify the heck out of things.

A couple weeks ago, I reissued a DD set of plans on the 13-story apartment building for another round of pricing. Switched to stacking fan coils from pancake-style. Still using chilled water with electric heat. It was a hard push to get things done in time and that's too bad because everything will be scrapped. One mechanical contractor has proposed using DX cooling instead of chilled water while still using electric heat.

That will be interesting. Putting something like 150 condensing units at the building, maybe half at grade and the rest on the roof. Sound a bit crazy to me. I've done jobs with condenser farms and they are not easily managed. One my projects finished last year has 43 condensing units on the roof. Not a pretty site even though they are somewhat clustered together. My medical treatment guest house project has 72 units in two large clusters and while it looks better, there's still air of confusion. My senior housing project to be finished this summer has 65 units. The latter will look better due to more roof area and clustering of the condensing units into six groups. In each case, there were three roof penetrations: liquid, suction and power lines.

While not involved in early meetings, I recall the reason why chilled water chosen was because the height of anything on the roof could not be taller than 10-feet. Feeling was that air-cooled chillers were shorter than low-profile cooling towers. Whatever the reasons nothing at the roof is over the 10-foot limit.

The fun never stops.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home