CAD-Mech

The Life and Times of an Associate Principal Designing Building Mechanical Systems On-Screen with AutoCAD & Revit MEP.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Office Monitor

A convenient subject while I'm off the clock this week. The office monitor I use is a Dell 2407WFP which replaced a Dell 19" CRT from 2002 when we last updated. The monitor replacement process began several months ago when, after removing my single vision office glasses and taking a close look at the CRT, I realized the display had gone fuzzy.

No amount of futzing with the adjustments would improve the view. I brought in a 19" flat panel Envision monitor with 1600x1200 resolution I had purchased from CompUSA online for $200 after rebates (got them all) and checked the display. What a difference! Dramatic to say the least and considerably easier to read.

Within a week, I sent out a email to two, maybe three, of the corporate partners requesting the a new monitor. I went with the Dell because 1) the price was reduced by about $100 from normal and 2) we're a Dell shop and other manufacturers might get a negative response from corporate managers and the IT team.

One partner stopped by to query me about the request, asking why I needed a new monitor when the one I had looked just fine. "Uh...that's my newly purchase monitor from home I brought in compare the appearance with the old one and verify need for replacement. The old one is sitting on a table outside the server room." A bit of discussion occurred before the new Dell monitor accepted.

With the replacement of computers recently, all the new machines came with a 19" LCD running 1280x1024 max resolution to supplement the old 19" CRT Dell monitors. I kept the Dell flat panel monitor and opted out of a second LCD -- not enough desk space. I have not yet looked at one of those dual monitor setups. Comparing an old CRT with the beam focus going sour against a new LCD is a losing battle. CRT bad, LCD good.

The electrical design staff can make use of the dual monitor setup as they are frequently editing electrical panel schedules while viewing and changing drawing files. I couldn't see a benefit for myself although I edit equipment schedules while modifying drawings. Clicking between two programs on a single large screen is no different to me that sliding a mouse between two screens.

Getting the Envision LCD back home got me in gear to clear out the old equipment to recycle and get the monitor into regular use. Sure made the PC desk a lot cleaner as it replaced a 19" long-tube Gateway CRT.

Now back to slacking off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home