CAD-Mech

The Life and Times of an Associate Principal Designing Building Mechanical Systems On-Screen with AutoCAD & Revit MEP.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

Sunday, December 30, 2007

End-of-Year Quiet Zone

Hope Christmas was enjoyed by those celebrating it. I'm back from vacation. Two weeks off work, one week of time away. Return to the office on Wednesday.

A driving trip was a good break from the regular grind. Put new snow tires all around on the car and they served me well. Noticed that other drivers still like to play a version of leap-frog when passing. I'd pass, move back to the right lane and keep going. Several minutes later that vehicle would pass me, move into the right lane and slow down. Years ago that happened too frequently and became aggravating. I put to put an end to it just like the last time by passing and kept going for several minutes more to put much more distance between us.

I still find it odd that after passing a semi-tractor trailer, people will return to the right lane immediately in front of the tractor apparently under the assumption it could stop quickly should a problem arise. I try to make sure I can see the entire front of the tractor in the rear-view mirror before returning to the right lane. Simple recognition of vehicle mass I guess. And, yes, I use my turn signal.

Waiting for me when I returned was the OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) XO computer. I coughed up the change for the Give One, Get One deal. Darn thing arrived the day after I left on the trip. Unpacked it and let it sit for several hours to come up to room temperature before inserting the battery and plugging in the charger. Not much there: the PC, battery, charger and a couple information sheets. All other data is online.

I have to say the XO computer is truly cute in a toy sort of way. Obviously intentional to make it attractive the intended audience comprised of children. Messed with it a bit last night but testing it will be interesting. Heavier that I expected and the visual appearance gives me the impression it would be lightweight, perhaps the result of the toy-like look. I plan to put a SD memory card in the slot and give it a try as a ebook device. Also plan to use at a couple restaurants I frequent to check email and surf the Inet. I expect many comments.

When I get back to the office, a 13-story apartment building (100+ units) and a restaurant design await me...plus all the projects under construction having the customary field issues.

Happy New Year all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home