CAD-Mech

The Life and Times of an Associate Principal Designing Building Mechanical Systems On-Screen with AutoCAD & Revit MEP.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Some Headaches, Mostly Good

Okay, I totally botched that last post. Freaking newbie. Now for the patch which will be nothing like the original.

The CADstation is doing a pretty good job of dealing with AutoCAD 2008. I've not been able to yet lock up the program. Historically with each PC replacement, I've managed to lock up AutoCAD faster than previously experienced. I figured with a quad-core and 4GB of RAM I'd lock AutoCAD up on the first day within a few hours. It simple has not happened yet.

Since I have the original test machine I've got 4GB of RAM of which I'm runnning a 512MB RamDisk where I put the Temp and Xref files used by AutoCAD. Much faster than relying on the hard drive swapfile to hold those.

We've had trouble with PDF printing and plotting because we did not get updated licenses for WinVista. AutoCAD 2008 supposedly would do PDF plotting but the Add-A-Plotter Wizard was not present through the normal menu choices. A quick Internet search gave me the filename and I created the AutoCAD-PDF.pc3 file. Soon we'll get notice on our AcroPlot Pro WinVista update.

I also installed CutePDF to accommodate printing needs when emailing documents. New NitroPDF licenses were a bit of hiccup but it got resolved. Had to remove it from my PC and reinstall to eliminate the ad-banner inserted by the unregistered version.

There's a few quirks in AutoCAD 2008 as I've been using it. The method of zoom in/out is a bit unnerving as I'm accustomed to the quick-snap in/out movement. Now it's a smooth motion both ways. The automatic highlighting of entities is aggravating and I'm not sure if that can be turned off.

Odd Part: A 250GB external hard drive would not be recognized by the PC. Eventually, I found I had to keep the drive off and cold before connecting it. At that point, WinVista saw it properly and kept it active. Connecting a warm drive was complete USB failure.

Wildest Experience: Installed Google Earth. Checked out the Suez Canal and then typed in Meteor Crater and hit return. The zoom-out and move around the globe left me almost dizzy. Perhaps the 24" LCD screen at max resolution helped that effect.

I'll need to setup a sheet list routine for one of my projects, a 15-story office building. We're up to SI-042 which means there's been a lot of changes of what should be a fairly simple structure. The three-digit marker in that sequence does not bode well for the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home