CAD-Mech

The Life and Times of an Associate Principal Designing Building Mechanical Systems On-Screen with AutoCAD & Revit MEP.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

Friday, November 26, 2010

Another Chapter Started

October was the month without pay so technically I was out of work. In reality, I was working for free and the company wasn't getting any money either. While checking the local ASHRAE chapter October newsletter I found a company looking for HVAC design people with HVAC design experience so I sent off a resume via email on a Tuesday evening.

Got a call on Friday while sitting in a bar with friends that was effectively a qualifying interview. Had an in-person interview on the following Monday with a follow-up interview on Monday a week later. I started work with their company on Nov 3. Friends were amazed that I found a job so quick. Not really an issue. I knew the company had work and knew people working there. I did not use them though for greasing the wheel, instead, I did the job seeking process without asking their help.

At the new company I'm not doing the job for the position they were looking to fill. Instead they've created a position for me involving primarily quality control in checking projects before they are issued, some work on design and doing updates to their standards including a good amount of work on control sequences of operation. It is a position that is yet to be clearly defined, and until then, I'll be the equivalent of a utility fielder.

The new place has an interesting work environment. 80+ people, open office with sizeable cubicles, very quiet and rather formal about things. Not quite the intensity of work that I'm accustomed to nor the looseness of my old company. Type of work is mostly institutional, educational and governmental with some commercial. Yep, it's different from what I've had for 20+ years but my base salary is similar to what I was getting at the old place. I'm glad to have a job.

Revit MEP Suite is a part of the new company CAD scheme. Not yet working at a fully smooth mode but I started attending the meetings for company standards and education. Otherwise, AutoCAD 2004 is their baseline CAD program. My PC is quad-core Xeon with 12GB Ram running WinXP64 and VMware.



Just found out the old company will next week be paying for accrued vacation that stopped on July 5.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home