CAD-Mech

The Life and Times of an Associate Principal Designing Building Mechanical Systems On-Screen with AutoCAD & Revit MEP.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Physical End and Home Working

I got everything moved home by last Friday that I wanted and was allowed. I could have taken much more but my rule was if it did not fit in the car it would not fit in my home as I have enough big stuff. I decided against a four-foot folding table and was glad I did.

Thus, I got two, two-drawer, file cabinets that replaced old small ones of much lesser quality. I have a pair of quad-core, 2.4GHz, Dell Precision 390 PCs which includes my office workstation and a spare box that was missing RAM plus the two monitors I used and various accessories. Had to disassemble my chair (purchased personally years ago) to fit in the car and am using it for now without the back or arms installed which oddly seems to be working well so far.

Got the office PC setup again without any problems. Upon finishing I thought I had missed something and realized I did. I missed the rat's nest of cables because I wrapped and tied the excess, tucking it down behind the desktop for a clean look. That office PC started up without a problem and all the components worked once all the USB conections were recognized at different port locations.

My plan is is to get a dual-monitor DVI KVM switch with USB connectors for mouse/keyboard and audio/mic. Not an easy animal to find but StarTech make them and they're available for $250 and higher. Another online order to make. Tuesday PM the RAM for the second PC arrived and I installed it today. Haven't powered up that machine yet since I wasn't able to connect the monitor as I only had a spare VGA cable. Mistakenly thought I had a DVI cable on the space LCD monitor.

Working at home is different from what it was a few years ago. Back then it was simply a matter of bring home a CD with files, copy them over to the PC hard drive and run AutoCAD 14/2000i to put three or four more hours into the design and burn another CD to take back to work. Now it's a bit more complicated with taking on the other aspects beyhond only design like clent and partner email messages.

This week I've put in four hours per day working. Started with getting the VPN setup corrected to work properly. Then I had to reconfigure AutoCAD for local rather than network drive locations for files. Several menu Shortcut HotKeys weren't functioning and I had to add them back into my Personal HotKeys. I got most all of it running Monday PM so Tuesday and today was spent truly working on two projects. Interestingly a partner wanted an addenda finished by Friday on one project but two others took the lead while the first has been completely quiet. One of those two projects took the lead at having a deadline on Friday for issuing responses on plan review from the building department which has over 130 comments. Unfreaking-believable.

With this home working situation I now get, in addition to the original email, forward copies of the same message from two or three of the partners two of whom are on vacation with nothing added of value. Some justice. Two more days of fun with Friday deadline plus I have to setup the 1500va UPS I bought today at Best Buy for $170 but only after I had to tell them of the lower price advertised on their website. Otherwise, I could have spent $30 more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home