CAD-Mech

The Life and Times of an Associate Principal Designing Building Mechanical Systems On-Screen with AutoCAD & Revit MEP.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

Monday, July 26, 2010

As the Slow Swirling Whirlpool Drain Out...

We're in our last week of having a business office. Took two filing cabinets home as replacements for old cheap ones at my desk. Three boxes go today and three more yet to go. A small folder table, office chair and PC will be gone later this week. Pretty darn slow around the office which is why I'm updating now.

We principals will have our office PCs linked through a VPN to the servers which won't be live until possibly the weekend or Monday next week. I snagged another quad-core PC for a home replacement but it was without RAM (likely due to my status of low principal and techie ability). I pulled RAM from the office PC and verified it would work. Now to order 8GB from Crucial, larger hard drives and Win7Pro 64-bit. Thus, I'll have the OfficePC and HomePC side-by-side on the desk. Heck of a system swap from a box I built in Fall 2001.

As part of the shutdown commitment, I've got August and September at half-pay/half-time due to low work load requirements. The two mechanical partners were under the assumption that I would be taking off the rest of 2010 and would be available to handle a bunch of the crap work while they spent five months vacation and lounging. One partner was a bit taken back when I stated, "How can I do project commissioning in November when I be working for another engineering company?" A bit stunned she was and some back-and-forth conversation ensued. The file sat on my desk for two weeks for a resolution that eliminated me from the effort. Signing of papers required before the other partner goes off for a trip to somewhere way south of the equator.

I've got options ahead for new employment but I'm not jumping too fast since a company might want me to work right away. I don't want complications more than already exist. A slow Aug/Sept will allow me time to relax, to go through things and determine their need to keep or dispose. Time to shake my residence and toss off the detritus of life that no longer applies. It allows for a decent division between the old and new life to come. Anyhow, I've had a message or two through the grapevine about options for the future.

Home cooling got fixed but only after a good complaint email to the installing company. Turns out Service Tech #1 returned with a solution for the power plug problem and left. No word on status. I waited a few days before sending the message and did it get a reaction. The email on Thursday PM got a call on Friday AM to schedule a fix on Monday, got another call after Friday lunch offering to have Service Tech #2 out to resolve the problem. Found one of the two fuses blown and determined the ground wire touching a hot line. Never had a chance of working and the original compressor was not likely bad. Company president came by to apologize and stated Service Tech #1 would be fired. I asked that maybe a stern warning would be better as I wasn't up to having someone lose their job. The cool air is good. SEER 13 is great now that the utility company slaps residential service with a higher KW charge when exceeding 500 KWH in a month during June-August.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home